Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Večbarvno barvanje volnene preje - Multicolour wool yarn dyeing

Našla sem novo rastišče šentjanževke, precej blizu doma, le nekaj kilometrov stran. Volneno prejo sem pobarvala kontaktno samo s cvetki. Rezultat me je tako navdušil, da sem morala slikati še mokro volno, čeprav sem vedela, da posušena ne bo več tako živih barv. I found a new growing area of St. John's wort, quite near my home, not more than a couple of kilometers away. I contact-dyed wool yarn with flowers only. The result filled me with such enthusiasm that I just had to take a picture of wet yarn although I knew well it won't keep the vivid colours when dried.

Res barve niso več tako žive, vijolična je šla proti rjavi (pa ne toliko, kot je videti na sliki), ampak volna je še vedno čudovita.

Indeed, the colours are not so vivid any more, the burgundy-purple shifted towards brown (not as much as in the picture, though), but the wool is still marvelous.

Navila sem jo še z malo napravico, da lahko nit vlečem iz sredine klobke.

I wound it using a small appliance to be able to pull the yarn from the middle of the ball.

Takole je videti spletena, gladko desne na licu.

This is how it looks when knit, stockinette stich.

Pred nekaj tedni me je premamil blog Helen Melvin, ki je dobila zanimivo barvo z zlato rozgo tik pred cvetenjem. Rezultat je bilo razočaranje - nezanimiva rumena (razen prvega barvanja, ki je dalo močno živorumeno). Odločila sem se, da bom volno prebarvala po delih. Del sem pobarvala z izrabljeno barvilno kopeljo iz rabarbarinih listov in del z izrabljeno kopeljo zelenih orehov. Barve sicer niso ravno moje najljubše, kombinacija pa mi je zelo všeč in sem zdaj prav zadovoljna z rezultatom barvanja, pa še izrabljene barvilne kopeli sem karseda porabila.

Some weeks ago I was tempted by Helen Melvin's report of an interesting colour obtained from goldenrod just prior to bloom. My result was a disappointment - an uninteresting yellow (except for the first dyeing which gave a vivid and strong yellow) so I decided to partly overdye the skeins. I used a rhubarb leaves exhaust bath and a green walnuts exhaust bath for parts of the skein. Although the colours are not just my choice I like their combination very much and am quite happy with the result now. In addition, I made utmost use of my exhaust dyebaths.

5 comments:

Manya Maratou said...

hello ladka, thanks for coming by and commenting. you are right, the yarn is beautiful. I suppose is is mordanted? I didd a little sample (solar)with a dried sprig of stJohns wort, it made a varied yellowish colour- not great, but you can see the potential. You are lucky to find it growing near you!

Ladka said...

Yes, the yarn is alum mordanted. I read in Rita Buchanan's book and learnt by experience that St. John's wort flowers develops its full and variegated colour potential on alum mordanted wool. I have also tried it on silk: on unmordanted scarves it gives dark melanzane-brown (if this is the English expression for the colour, I am not sure), and on mordanted silk it gives beautiful old golds (and yellows in exhaust baths).

Karina said...

Hello ladka, thanks for coming by and commenting.Your wool is very beautiful.
karina

Beth Grim said...

mmmm...I like your variegated yarn very much. We have a bumper crop of St. John's Wort this year; I'm going to try your dyeing method.

Ladka said...

Hi Beth, try dyeing with the flowers only, following Rita Buchanan's recipe, and you will get four different colours with only alum and no mordant. The green tops without the flowers also give lovely colours, and so do the exhausts.
You may also want to look at my older post down here where I used whole plants just prior to bloom, and my last year's skeins at http://workingwithfelt.ning.com/profile/Ladka, go down the page to My Photos. The picture is rather poor (I used my mobile phone), since then I didn't yet have a camera.